Tuesday, February 26, 2008

WORKFLOW

It is so fun being a wedding photographer and I love my job, but a consistent thing that I hear from people when I tell them what I do is “Oh my how cool is that, you only work on Saturday for 8 hours”

Well this blog post is inspired by the misconception people have about wedding photographers. YES IT IS FUN, anyone who knows me knows that I love what I do, but I still have to work in order to insure that my clients get the highest quality product.

I have outlined for you what a typical workflow is for ONE WEDDING so as you read this keep in mind that in order to get a full picture of what I do multiple that by however many weddings per year (20-25).

You want to make sure when you are hiring someone that you are confident not only in their skills as a photographer, but also knows how to run and organize a business! It is important to have someone who is organized, efficient, and quick to respond to your needs on the wedding day as well as manage your files happily ever after!

WORK FLOW FOR ONE WEDDING

BOOKING PROCESS
Initial meeting with couple
Type information into a contract, scan contract, email it to clients
Sign returned contract and scan and send to client
Go to bank to deposit retainers

PRE WEDDING DAY PREP
Type up itineraries from Wedding Planning Worksheet
Email exchanges from bride and groom to finalize details
Charge batteries
Clean cameras and lenses (a trip to the camera store) prep and pack equipment
Print directions to all venues

WEDDING DAY
Drive time-leave early to factor in any traffic
Day of coverage (my average package is 8-10 hours)
Drive time home
BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP-download images when I get home to be sure I have 2 copies of everything before I go to bed, so in the wee hours of the am I am at my computer

EDITING PROCESS (after the wedding)
Organize into folders about 800 images
Delete images with eyes closed or out of focus shots
Photoshop, edit, rename files and burn to disc as well as backup on hard drive
Choose photos for a slideshow, download and host up on website
Upload images onto Collages.net

DEVELOPING PHOTOS
Upload to Printing company
Order proofs
Go through proofs once in house and organize into packaging
Package up images write a thank you card
Go to post office to mail and insure

ALBUM DESIGN
Design mock album (several hours)
Upload to host for viewing
Email back and forth with Bride and Groom re edits
Edit any changes to be made to layout
Order-upload to album printing company
Drop ship to client once completed

THE END ☺

The outline just shows the workflow for one wedding, it does not include the other things that I have to do like, return email inquiries, send out information packets, marketing, reprint orders, ordering supplies, keeping up my quickbooks accounting system, engagement sessions, children and family sessions and all the fun stuff that comes with each job.

The joy in all this is that the majority of my job I can do from home. Where I can take care of my 2 little bundles of joy that God has blessed us with! I wouldn’t trade that for the world. I also get to exercise the art of photography which is WHAT I LOVE. I get to practice my artistic expression on a weekly basis. It is kind of like a painter, getting to paint all the time, or a song writer writing for a living. I love this gift that I have been given… the ability to capture moments in time, in peoples lives, memories that are forever captured on film is priceless. For this I am THANKFUL!

I look forward to my “Season” starting at the end of March. Until then, its back to all the 5 albums I have in line to design…

10 comments:

Mandy Sroka said...

Yeah! Finally! I will definitely use this to help me! You sure do a lot, but make it look so effortless

Heather of Troy said...

I can't believe people say that to you. I just can't believe it. That's like the lady at church who asked my sister, "So you stay at home all day (with a toddler)? What do you do to fill your time?" Corrie was speechless. I mean, what can a busy mama say to a nice little old lady? "Um, have you forgotten?"

Anonymous said...

You are a hard worker Stacy and a wonderful mother. It's a busy world for you. One day you will sit at your own daughters' weddings and try very hard not to cry. It is a joyous time and you are so lucky to have a job that you enjoy.

MOM

RMs at the Village said...

There sure is a lot involved . . . more than I even imagined and I have my own home business :-) Thanks for using your gifts in such a great way. It is fun to enjoy your "work" isn't it!?! Can't wait to see the new season of brides with a lot of your girls mixed in!!

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm exhausted just reading what you do for each wedding!!! You do such wonderful work, though, and it's great that it makes you so happy. I just gave your web address to a friend of mine who is getting married in May 2009. Hopefully she'll give you a call. BTW, your new website is wonderful!

See you on Sunday!

Jennifer Tessneer

Unknown said...

Yea, you only work on Saturdays and your husband the pastor only works on Sundays, right?!

Beverly Lynn said...

I appreciate what you do! I am rather envious too! You have found work and a job that you can balance with your kids AND that you love. God is good.

Oh, I just got some work-in-progress album pages for my wedding, perhaps you can give me your professional opinion on them. :0)

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://haxokitume.1accesshost.com/katihi.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ofyhaqoki.kogaryu.com/isilus.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Soren Duus said...

That would be a good template for a project plan, although there must be a separate sheet or flow for the budget. There are updates for Qucikbooks for the last couple of years, so better keep up with the latest.

Reading how you handle all your work is a bit tiring, and yet, inspiring. It's nice to have an organized flow of tasks!